Tuesday, February 5, 2008

OBAMA 08

Tonight I attended the democratic caucus in Kodiak. It was a very interesting experience. There were many familiar faces: from my Natives of Alaska class, yoga, public school teachers I subbed with, parents from St. Mary's, Coast Guard people, and other faces I see around town. I had a quick conversation with our mayor who I recognized from the picture on the Kodiak city website. It was much more crowded than I (and the organizers) expected. We actually had to go OUT of the building and come in two separate doors to be counted. The only two candidates were Clinton and Obama. Obama had 71% of the votes. Then they discussed electing 5 delegates for Obama and 2 for Clinton to go to the Alaska Democratic Convention in May in Palmer. I thought, what the heck, I will be off of work by then, when will I get this chance again?! Lucky for me, I was one of the five chosen! So, I will be a delegate representing Kodiakians in support of Obama at the convention!!! This is very exciting as I have been interested in politics for years, and have not even voted in a US presidential election in the United States! I was in Bulgaria for the 2000 election and Mongolia for the 2004 election. I am excited for an opportunity to stand up for the change I hope to see with the election of a new president. I will take pictures and let you know how the process goes. It is especially fun for me to be taking this civic role on right now because my 8th graders are studying the US Constitution. We love to discuss the elections.

No comments: